The goal of the summer school is to provide an in depth overview in terms of “Ocean Literacy”, covering both maritime and marine modules. The Blue Growth Summer School aims to provide an extensive training course combining theoretical sessions on a wide variety of topics, several on-site visits to amongst others the wind farms and Flanders Maritime Institute. Furthermore, workshops will be organised on the application of AV-RV technologies in Blue Growth industries and communicating with impact. Next to high-level training, the students are challenged by an assignment which is inspired on the challenges within the Blue Growth domain.
The course is designed for Master and PhD students. Engineers, bio-engineers, geographers and marine biologists are welcome to subscribe however essential for enrollement is the demonstration of experience in marine and maritime projects.
BGSS 2019 programme overview
9-13 Sep 2019, maritime module
- Mon 9: Opening BGSS in company of DG Mare, De Blauwe Cluster, Marine Board
- Tue 10 am: Coastal engineering lecture; Visit to the new facilities of Flanders Maritime Laboratory with the Ocean and Coastal Basin and towing tank
- Tue 10 pm: Interactive session on Marine Spatial Planning (MSP Boad Game )
- Wed 11: Wind energy lectures; group dinner
- Thu 12: Wave & tidal energy lectures; Excursion
- Fri 13 : Innovation & entrepreneurship lecture; In coop with TUA West & DAE Kortrijk, workshop & business examples, circular economy.
16-20 Sep 2019, marine module
- Mon 16: Sustainable seafood lecture
- Tue 17: Ocean pollution lecture; visit to Flanders Marine Institute
- Wed 18: Deep sea mining lecture; Communication workshops
- Thu 19: Ecosystem approach to fishery management; Visit to Flemish fish auction
- Fri 20: Assignment final presentation by the students. Award ceremony & BGSS closur, associated with a job happening
BLUE GROWTH JOB FAIR: Connecting people through blue alliance
Venue: GreenBridge, Wetenschapspark 1 8400 Oostende
Date: Friday 20th September 2019, 13:00 – 17:00
GreenBridge will host - in collaboration with Ghent University - an unique job fair for the Blue Economy sector, to offer a window of opportunity for both students and businesses.